TOEFL exam preparation. Study the words and complete the exercise below.
Get more practice with the story: A Stage at Sea World.
|enact (enACT): verb--1. to perform, to act out, 2. to make into a law|
|After the children saw the movie, they enacted a pretend game with the same plot.|
Congress enacted a new law to protect the homeless.
|absurd (ubSRD): adj--silly, not reasonable|
|You threw away all your clothes? That's absurd!|
There are many absurd shows on TV. Each show tries to be crazier and crazier.
|marvel (MARvel): verb - to observe with awe or wonder|
|We marveled at the car accident: we counted 10 cars that had crashed in a row.|
People marvel at the athletes who compete at the Olympics.
|charisma (krIZma): noun - lively or engaging personality|
|He has a lot of charisma. That's why he's a good car salesman. |
She's not the best actor, but she has a lot charisma.
|demonstrate (DEMunstrāt): verb -- to show for a purpose, often educational|
|We had an alarm system put in our house. They demonstrated how to use it, but we set off the alarm by accident. |
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.1. Politicians often have ____________________. They need to be well-liked.
2. When we went to the science museum, we ____________ at many exhibits.
3. I can show you how to fix a flat tire on your bike. This time watch and I'll ________________________.
4. The state government ___________ a law that reduces the speed limit in neighborhoods.
5. Our uncle is very funny. He's always making ______________ jokes.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. charisma, 2. marveled, 3. demonstrate, 4. enacted, 5. absurd
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com