TOEFL vocabulary. Study the words and answer the questions.
Get more practice with the story: Penguins.
|Stress the 1st Syllable
|intrigue (INtreeg): noun - drama, mystery and suspense||The movie had a lot of intrigue. The main character was a spy who betrayed her friends. |
|mirror (MIrer): noun - a place where you see your reflection; verb: being or doing the same thing as another ||She looks in the mirror before going to school. She smiles to make sure there is no food between her teeth.|
|particle (PARdikul): noun - a very small thing or very small part of a thing||There are many particles of dust in the air. I feel like I will sneeze.|
|Stress the 2nd Syllable |
|abroad (uh-BRAHD): noun - out of one's own country||We're going abroad next year. We plan to visit Japan and China.|
|advice (ud-VIS): noun - ideas given to assist another person||I welcome your advice. Any ideas you have could help me to make a wise decision.|
|Stress the 3rd Syllable|
|disapproval (disuhPROOvul): noun - dislike or lack of acceptance||He expressed his disapproval of the new governor's budget. |
Practice Using These Nouns (the answers are at the bottom of the page)
1. There were ________________ of chalk on the sidewalk for a week.
2. My friend is acting strange. I need _______________ on what to do.
3. We're travelling _______________ this summer. We will visit London.
4. Life does not have to be full of ________________. You can live simply, without too many difficulties.
5. She placed a ______________ on her dressing table.
6. The senator spoke with ________________ about the tax increase.
1. particles, 2. advice, 3. abroad, 4. intrigue, 5. mirror, 6. disapproval
Copyright: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com
Back to Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn TOEFL vocabulary, English pronunciation, grammar and more
toefl study toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl test toefl TOEFL study TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL test TOEFL