TOEFL words. Study the words and complete the exercise below.
Get more practice with the story: The Takin.
|abroad (uh-BRAHD): out of the country||We're going abroad for three weeks. We plan to pass through Germany and visit India.|
|comparatively (cum-PĀR-uh-tiv-lee): having to do with comparison or seeing how things/people are alike and/or different|
|She is comparatively thinner and paler than when I saw her last time. |
|exceedingly (ex-SEED-ing-lee): very much so, in excess||He was exceedingly pleased to be accepted to Harvard. He wanted to go there all his life.|
|exclusively (ex-KLOO-siv-lee): related to a select few or a select one||This store exclusively sells hats. That's all we do. |
The sale is exclusively for cardholders, but you can get a credit card today if you want.
|haphazardly (hap-HAZ-erd-lee): having no organization or planning|
|He bought furniture haphazzardly. Everything is a different color. |
|indeed (in-DEED): in fact, having truth, (not used in popular speech, formal)|
|The woman asked if he wanted water.Indeed, he was quite tired.|
|routinely (roo-TEEN-lee): happening on a regular schedule|
|She sees the doctor routinely during her pregnancy. |
|sufficiently (su-FISH-ent-lee): having enough||I think the baby has been fed sufficiently. She doesn't seem to want anymore. |
Stress the 3rd Syllable of This Adverb. Study, Then Practice Below.
|theoretically (thee-or-E-ti-klee): having to do with a theory, an idea that has not been proved, can be used informally to show that reality differs from ideas||Theoretically, the bridge will hold massive weight, but the state sets much lower limits in order to be safe.|
Theoretically, my brother should be wiser than I am, since he's 12 years older, but I don't think that's actually the case.
Fill in the missing words. Answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. Her mother ____________ calls her every Sunday. They talk for an hour.
2. He is studying ______________ for one year. Then he will come back to the states.
3. The manager ________________ called on people to speak. The meeting was confusing, not helpful at all.
4. Though he has a few problems, your father is _______________ strong. Other men his age have many health issues.
5. _________________, this recipe should create a fabulous dinner. But I've never tried it myself.
6. She was ______________ angry when the policeman gave her a speeding ticket. I told her to calm down.
7. The dress was designed _____________ for the actress.
8. The woman was tired. ____________, she was more tired than she had ever been before.
9. He pursued promotions until he was ______________ satisfied with his income.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. routinely, 2. abroad, 3. haphazzardly, 4. comparatively, 5.
theoretically, 6. exceedingly, 7. exclusively, 8. indeed, 9.
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com