TOEFL test. Study the words and answer questions below.
For more practice, read the story: Tourists in India.
|intrigue (in-TREEG): to make a person interested by being mysterious or not easy to understand|
|His paintings intrigued me. I was not sure what he meant to say creatively, but I liked them.|
|persuade (per-SWADE): 1. to get a person to do something, 2. to show a person what is so|
|He persuaded me to give him $500, and now I regret it.|
The dog's tiredness, ongoing for three days, persuaded him that the dog was sick.
|propose (pruh-POSE): to suggest, often used in formal situations or to make a suggestion in a humorously formal way|
|He is proposing budget cuts that would cause 20 layoffs.|
For New Year's Eve, I propose that we go to a bar. Then another bar. After that, another bar.
|replace (ree-PLASE): to exchange one thing for another, often something new|
|When she received a pay-raise, she replaced her old living room set. The new one is beautiful.|
|restore (ree-STORE): to put into a former condition, to make something that is old look more like new|
|She works as a painter and wood-worker. She restores old furniture.|
Fill in the Missing Words. Answers are below:
1. You can ____________ a new project to your manager if you don't have enough to do.
2. This cream ______________ the skin. Fine lines and age spots disappear.
3. The man in the corner of the room _____________ her. He was sitting by himself and reading a book.
4. You need to ____________ these windshield wiper blades. They're terribly noisy!
5. Her parents tried to __________ her to attend a community college, but she went to an out-of-state university.
answers: 1. propose, 2. restores, 3. intrigued, 4. replace, 5. persuade
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn TOEFL vocabulary, learn English pronunciation, learn grammar and more
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com
TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL words TOEFL study TOEFL test TOEFL toefl vocabulary toefl words toefl study toefl test toefl