TOEFL Vocabulary. Study the words and complete the exercise below.
Get more practice with the story: Visayan Warty Pig.
|vigorous (VI-ger-us): adj--with a lot of life and strength|
|I have a great aunt who is 90 years old, but she is still vigorous. |
He gave the heavy door a vigorous push.
|resilient (re-ZIL-yent): adj--able to bounce back, able to return after a change or difficulty|
|My pet bird almost died, but came back to health. She is very resilient. |
He is very resilient after disappointments. He forgets about problems and moves on.
|robust (rō-BUST): adj--strong, healthy|
|Her father is robust. He works outdoors and is very healthy. |
She seems robust, but actually she is having some health problems.
|slovenly (SLO-ven-lee): adj--messy, lacking energy|
|Her slovenly apearance did not help at the job interview.|
That family keeps a slovenly household. Visiting is not pleasant.
|narrow (NAR-rō): adj--slight, limited|
|She has a narrow nose, and she also has allergies all year.|
I do not like crossing narrow bridges. I fear they will break.
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. She is ______________ because she works outdoors every summer. She teaches swimming.
2. You need to be more ________________ when bad things happen. You shouldn't just give up.
3. She has _____________ arms and a long neck. She is quite slender.
4. I want to be _______________ when I am old, and so I live a healthy life.
5. I can't believe how ________________ you are. Neaten up!
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. robust, 2. resilient, 3. narrow, 4. vigorous, 5. slovenly
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com