TOEFL test practice. Study the words and complete the exercise below.
Get more practice with the story: Reading Labels.
|Avoid (uhVOID): verb - to not go near something, to stay away|
|If you go on a diet, you have to avoid fatty foods. |
He tried to avoid his English test by going to the nurse's office, but the nurse said he was all right.
|Vapor (VĀpr): noun - mist or gas, air with some moisture|
|When she combined the two liquids, strange vapors rose form the test tube.|
It is a good idea to stay away from vapors that smell bad.
|Exposed (exPOSD): adj - being in the open or being in the presence of something new|
|She tried to cover herself in insect repellent, but she left her knee exposed and got some insect bites.|
He enjoyed the museum. He was exposed to many new artists.
|Inhalation (inhulĀshun): noun - an inhale, a breath inward|
|When I got my shot, the nurse told me to take a slow inhalation. While I thought about breathing in slowly, she pricked my arm. |
|Caution (KAHshun): noun - a warning, a sign or speech for preventing harm|
|I always read caution labels on medicine bottles. |
There was a big sign that said "caution" near the school. I think they are doing some new construction work.
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. If you want to calm down, you can take a long, slow ____________________.
2. She tried to hide the paper under a book, but the corner was __________________, and I saw it.
3. He gets sick very easily. When he knows that a friend is sick, he ________________ that person.
4. My mother was looking for the _____________ label on the cleaning fluid. Finally she found it--the print was very small.
5. It was very cold this morning. When I started my car and it began to heat up, _____________ rose up from the hood.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. inhalation, 2. exposed, 3. avoids, 4. caution, 5. vapors
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com