TOEFL vocabulary. Study the TOEFL words and answer questions below.
Get more practice with the story: Snoqualmie Pass.
|Allow (uhLOW): verb - to let another do something (could be a person, people or animal)|
|Don't let the cat out! We do not allow our cat to leave the house.|
He wanted to go to the movie, but his parents don't allow him to stay out past 10pm.
|Enormous (eeNORmus): adj - very big|
|The first elephant we saw was big, but this one is enormous!|
That boat is enormous. It can carry 1,000 people.
|Exremely (exTREEmlee): adv - very much so, more than a person normally expects|
|She was extremely happy when she won the state competition. |
Mountain climbing can be extremely hard.
|Deep (DEEP): adj - 1) going far down, 2) complex |
|Those roots are very deep. I don't know if you can dig to the bottom. |
When her aunt died, she had many deep thoughts about life and death.
|Dense (DENS): adj - 1) very thick, packed close together, 2) slow in thought|
|When rabbits run from bigger animals, they sometimes run into dense brush. The bigger animals cannot follow.|
"Don't be dense," she said. "You asked for a pencil and there is one right in front of you."
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.1. He was ________________ tired after he stayed awake for 2 days.
2. That water is so ________________ it is hard to swim to the bottom.
3. I saw an __________________ walrus at the zoo. I had no idea they are so big.
4. The teacher won't ________________ me to sit by my friends. She chooses where everyone sits.
5. When it snows every day, the snow becomes _______________. Then it's harder to shovel it.
1. extremely, 2. deep, 3. enormous, 4. allow, 5. dense
Copyright: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com
Back to Speak Method home
Speak Method: TOEFL training, pronunciation training, grammar training and more
TOEFL preparation prepare for TOEFL test TOEFL test toefl test toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl