TOEFL words. Study and answer questions below.
Get more practice with the story: The Man in the Blue Car.
|Ancestor (ANsestr): noun--a relative from long ago|
|His ancestors are from China.|
Her ancestors are from Russia and Sweden.
|Clever (CLEvr): adj--intelligent|
|Parots are clever birds. They can imitate speech. |
He is the most clever person in his class.
|Endure (enDOOR): verb--to put up with, to deal with|
|Many people had to endure poverty during the Great Depression.|
It can be difficult to endure an illness.
|Face (FAS): noun: the place of the eyes, nose and mouth; verb: to turn one's face toward or to deal with something directly |
|The two fighters faced each other before the match.|
She was in a car accident, and she had to face many challenges to recover her health.
|Interpret (inTERpret): verb--to put in one's own words or ideas|
|He can speak Mandarin Chinese, so he always finds work as an interpreter. |
I could not interpret the meaning of the painting, but my friend seemed to like it.
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. She has to ______________ her competitor tomorrow. They are both great karate champions.
2. Stop trying to be _________________. Just say something simple.
3. You look Asian. Where are your ________________ from?
4. I am trying to _______________ the Spanish poem, but some words do not directly translate.
5. People have experienced wars, poverty and loss. It is amazing how much people can ______________.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. face, 2. clever, 3. ancestors, 4. interpret, 5. endure
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com