L and R Sounds
Listen to the video and choose
which word you hear. Write down your answers on a piece of paper. Check
your answers at the bottom of the page.
You can also use this list repeatedly with an instructor. Your
instructor writes down a list of answers, then speaks the words to you.
You write your answers and see if they match. You can also reverse this
to check your pronunciation: you write down a set of answers, then
speak, and see if your instructor was able to hear you correctly.
Both words will work in each sentence. This is a listening exercise.
Fill in the blanks:
1. There is some ___________________ on the side of the road. (glass / grass)
2. I see a big _______________ over there. (cloud / crowd)
3. She is a great ____________________. (leader / reader)
4. Let's think about the ___________ side of things. (light / right)
5. There is a ________________ in front of the door. (lock / rock)
6. We saw some children __________________. (playing / praying)
7. We took the _______________ way. (long / wrong)
8. I like looking at these ___________________. (flames / frames)
9. She _________________ that very much. (feels / fears)
10. That boy is very _________________. ( wild / wired)
11. The doctor was able to ______________ his heart. (heal / hear)
12. In my dream, he ______________ to me. (appealed / appeared)
13. That is quite a large ________________. (file / fire)
14. We had to buy four new __________________. (tiles / tires)
15. The teacher __________________ the homework. (collected / corrected)
16. There is a __________________ over there. (stall / star)
Review the L Sound: Watch a Video. Review the R sound: Watch a Video.
glass, 2. cloud, 3. reader, 4. light, 5. rock, 6. praying, 7. long, 8.
frames, 9. feels, 10. wired, 11. hear, 12. appealed, 13. fire, 14.
tires, 15. collected, 16. stall
Get advice from
an instructor: try online
English Prnonunciation classes on Skype or local
English Pronunciation classes in Seattle.
2010: Speakmethod.com: Learn English Pronunciation, Seattle, WA