|English Online with Speak Method
|Online Classes||Pronunciation Facts||R, Th, T and other sounds||500 Words Practice|
|Local Classes||Business Communication||TOEFL Prep||ESL Stories|
||Grammar and Idioms||For Young People|
Stress the 1st Syllable of These Nouns. Study, Then Practice Below.
|caution: safety, related to being safe
||Please use caution when working with that machine.
|challenge: a difficulty that a person deals with, used in positive ways.
||She likes challenges. They help her learn and grow.
|core: center or basic part of something
||Seeds are near the core of an apple.
She did exercises for her core: her stomach and hips.
|course: a class, also a route, either by road or symbolically, similar to "track"
||He is taking a difficult physics course.
He is on a new course. He has a new job and new friends.
|crack: a rip or tear in something hard, such as rock or concrete
||There were many large cracks in the sidewalk. It needed repair.
|harvest: the time when fruits and vegetables are ripe and they are taken from the fields.
||This is the time of harvest. Everything is ripe.
|intrigue: drama, mystery and suspense
||The movie had a lot of intrigue. The main character was a spy who betrayed her friends.
|mirror: a place where you see your reflection, anything symbolic of reflection
||She sees her age in the mirror. She cannot deny her many years.
|particle: a very small biological thing
||There are many particles of dust in the air. I feel like I will sneeze.
|Stress the 2nd Syllable
|abroad: out of one's native country
||We're going abroad next year. We plan to visit Japan and China.
|advice: words given to assist another person
||I welcome your advice. Any ideas you have could help me to make a wise decision.
|Stress the 3rd Syllable
|disapproval: dislike or lack of acceptance
||He expressed his disapproval of the new governor's budget.
Practice Using These Nouns (the answers are at the bottom of the page)
1. I think you are on the right ___________. Everything seems right.
2. The _____________ was wonderful. There were many large and healthy foods.
3. The biologist examined specimens from the pond in a microscope. He found many interesting ______________.
4. I won't give you ________________ about marriage. You have to figure things out for yourself.
5. There were many _______________ in the stone wall. It needed repair.
6. He faced many _______________ when starting his new job. He had to learn fast and prove himself.
7. Do use ______________ when crossing the street. Drivers are often distracted.
8. We're travelling _______________ this summer. We will visit Amsterdam.
9. Life does not have to be full of ________________. You can live simply, without too many difficulties.
10. She placed a ______________ on her dressing table.
11. She spoke with ________________ about the tax increase.
12. Many people do exercises on their __________. It helps when the center of the body is strong.