TOEFL test practice. Study the words and complete the exercise below.
Get more practice with the story: Crater Lake.
|determine (de-TER-min), verb: to decide based on facts|
|We cannot determine the winner of the race at this time. We have to review the video first.|
|elicit (e-LI-sit), verb: to get from someone|
|She is good at eliciting information from people. |
|encourage (en-KR-uj), verb: to give support|
|You need to encourage your son. He cannot do well in school without your support.|
|enhance (en-HANS), verb: to make better|
|It isn't too hard to enhance a room. You can buy a few new pillows and replace the curtains.|
|forbid (for-BID), verb: to tell another person that he/she cannot do something|
|Her mother forbid her to go to parties until she was eighteen. |
Fill in the missing words. Answers are below:
1. He is always ______________ his daughter, and she is a happy child.
2. The manager has ____________ everyone from working overtime.
3. The doctor could not _____________ the cause of death.
4. The reporter interviewed a movie star and ___________ the name of the movie star's boyfriend.
5. You can _____________ your smile by whitening your teeth.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
answers: 1. encouraging, 2. forbidden, 3. determine, 4. elicited, 5. enhance
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com