TOEFL vocabulary: study the words and answer questions below.
Get more practice with the story: Capybaras.
|exceptional (ekSEPshunul): adj--unusual, extraordinary, something that is an exception|
|His attendance is exceptional. He never missed a day all year.|
That's an exceptional sweater. It's beautiful, and I haven't seen another one like it.
|coarse (CORS): adj--harsh, bristly, not soft, also with behavior, as in "coarse speech."|
|Of all the dogs you can choose, why pick this one? The fur is so coarse!|
The man was speaking in a coarse way, so I stayed away from him.
|shallow (SHAlow): adj. - not deep, also with behavior: not thoughtful|
|Let's go to the shallow end of the pool. I cannot swim very well.|
I thought the movie was shallow. I don't want to see it again.
|advantage (adVANtij): noun: something that is good, beneficial|
|You should be able to get the job. You know people there and that is to your advantage.|
When people buy cars, they think of the advantages and disadvantages of each vehicle.
|deplete (dePLEET): verb--to decrease greatly|
|People recycle and conserve so as not to deplete the earth's resources. |
Practice: Complete the sentences. Answers are at the bottom of the page.1. People can _____________ water reservoirs during a drought. Then they have to regulate their water use.
2. My grandmother's hair used to be ______________, but it became softer when it turned from gray to white.
3. You have a lot of good friends. That's to your ___________________.
4. He is an _________________ swimmer. He can swim for a long time without getting tired.
5. I don't like that politician. I think everything he says is _____________ and not to the point.
toefl words toefl vocabulary toefl study toefl practice TOEFL words TOEFL vocabulary TOEFL study TOEFL practice
Speak Method home
Speak Method: learn pronunciation, grammar, toefl words and more
1. deplete, 2. coarse, 3. advantage, 4. exceptional, 5. shallow
2010: I.E. Tutoring/Speakmethod.com